SPRING INTO READING

by - April 08, 2015

Hello Friends, welcome back to my blog!! Imagine how nice it would be to sit on a park bench on a sunny day, enjoying the breeze, listening to the chirping of birds and seeing the trees in full bloom as well as reading your favorite novel with a cup of coffee..... Wow it sounds heavenly right? Well that is the theme of today's project - "Spring into reading". 






 Myself and my husband love reading novels. But since he is busy with his office work he is not getting enough time to read. As they say Spring is the best time to start  something afresh and particularly reading am giving him this gift of stacked books with reading lamp which will motivate him to read more.



How I made them:
Stacked books:
I had a few soap box cartons lying in my stash for a long time . When I saw the idea of recycling soap box cartons into stacked books in the blog tofa I felt it is a wonderful idea and thought of doing the same. With my friend Rupa's  ( of tofa blog) permission I transformed the soap cartons into stacked books. Thank you for permitting me to use your idea Rupa. Visit her blog to see her amazing recycled projects... She is rightly called the queen of recycling in the blog land. 


         The soap boxes are sandwiched between cardboard sheets and covered using DCWV once upon a time pattern paper. At the side of the stacked books I wanted to create a spring garden so adhered some handmade flowers and hand cut leaves.


For the front panel I have used a border punch and handmade daisies. I made the coffee mug using the DCWV pattern paper . The sentiment on the tag is a print out.... 


On the other side you can see I have made drawers for storing some light weight stationary stuffs. 
The coffee mug can be used as a pen stand. 


Night lamp:
For the lamp shade I have used pattern paper lying on my stash. The base of the lamp is made up of empty ribbon spool. I have used an empty tissue roll to connect the lamp shade and the base. Decorated the lamp using spiral roses and black ribbon. The butterfly is printed from the internet. 


The nest:
The nest is made by recycling brown color paper bags. The eggs and the bird are made up of air dry clay and colored using acrylics. 


Mounted the whole thing on a cardboard sheet. The fence is made using card stock and the welcome sentiment at the gate is stamped using distress inks. 
Inside the drawers there are scrolled handwritten messages. 


Hmmm that's the end of the big post.... Thanks for reading it patiently. This post is dedicated to all the book lovers.




. Hope you all liked my post... Do write your comments/suggestions ....






Submitting to




Kraftzone challenge - " altered art"
Shopping our stash - " The earth has music" - I have created a spring garden with flowers and leaves...
lessology challenge - " typeface" - I have used four different fonts in my project... The two printed sentiments are of different fonts, the welcome sentiment is stamped using inks and the scrolled messages are handwritten.
Beyond grey challenge - " Spring green with spring elements" - I have created a garden using elements such as nest, eggs, birds, green grass, leaves and flowers. The pattern paper on the stacked books is vintage green colour.
The corrosive challenge - "hop into spring"
The craft place challenge - easter/spring










You May Also Like

15 comments

  1. Thanks for the shout out Ramya. So happy you drew inspiration from my works. ..This is so cheerful,colorful and functional too.. wow! Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - lots of patience used here!!! What an incredible project. I LOVE books and your books are so fun. Really great job. j.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful beautiful creation...I can see Rupa's influence too...its stunning
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts Kids Projects

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy *WOW* what a masterpiece of both design and engineering! this is just amazing-- especially when you know that the books are up-cycled soap boxes?! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR STASH with us this week! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW what a great use of those soap boxes! Fantastic project! Thanks for sharing and for playing along with the SHOPPING OUR STASH crew for our joint "The Earth Has Music" challenge with Words 2 Scrap By!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just OUTSTANDING! The level of detail is amazing (I was just bowled over by your little drawers) and the coverall composition is marvelous! Rupa is such an inspiration! I do belive you have taken the soap box book to a new level! Thanks for playing with us at Shopping Our Stash!
    Hugz,
    Chana, DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for entering TCP Spring challenge - this is a wonderful project. It oozies colour and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! This is amazing!! Just look at all that eye candy! I keep flipping up and down to look at the pictures again because I find something new! Thanks for joining us this week at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. This looks amazing! Love what you did with the soap boxes...pretty and practical. Hope this beauty inspires your man to read more.

    Thanks for joining us at LESSology!



    ReplyDelete
  10. What a truly beautiful and thoughtful project! I'm sure your hubby will like it....I really like the drawers in the back of it.....you've done an awesome job...& Rupa really is inspiring, too:):) Thanks for joining us at LESSology!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!!! What an awesome upcycled project....I love the fantastic transformation of the soap boxes and the fab bright colours too. Thank you for playing with our challenge At LESSology :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! This is such an amazing project!!! Great use of soap boxes! Love all the details and beautiful colors...awesome work :)
    Thank you so much for playing along with us at BGC :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and inspiring project. So many details to absorb. Rupa is a great recycler and source of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed your entire post! Books made from soapboxes, what a lovely idea to use up all that recycled stuff! Super pretty butterflies! Just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! It's stunning project. I like your idea of reusing of soap boxes. Great colours!
    Thank you for playing along at BGC!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments